*Feature Request* - Self Extracting 7zips

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.
Plasma_000
I know Keka
I know Keka

*Feature Request* - Self Extracting 7zips

Postby Plasma_000 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:41 am

In another piece of software: 7zX, as well as the normal 7zip utility, there is the ability to create self extracting archives - basically just the 7zips wrapped in a small program that will decompress them without them having to install the software.

These self extracting 7zips are OS specific, and packaging it as a mac .app would be awesome, but maybe use a bar to select wether it will be wrapped for windows or mac? This would be a great feature to add. If you want an example of it for mac, please look at 7zX, it hass less features, but this is a feature keka doesnt have: http://sixtyfive.xmghosting.com/products/7zx/

Lotusbrod
Translator
Translator

Re: *Feature Request* - Self Extracting 7zips

Postby Lotusbrod » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:52 am

Is there a particular reason you want a self extracting 7z rather than creating an archive in another format if you're giving it to someone who doesn't have Keka? The built in Archive Utility in Mac OS X support a range of formats which is why you don't see self extracting archives for Mac other than some installers where putting the extracted files in a particular location is important.

Self extracting archives for Windows are becoming less common now for similar reasons, built in functionality means there's less chance of someone being stuck with an archive they can't open.

Plasma_000
I know Keka
I know Keka

Postby Plasma_000 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:37 pm

7z is a great format, with small compression, and i'm looking to transfer fairly large media files to computers without 3rd party extraction. This is by no means necessary, but it would be nice since mac's built in archive utility doesnt suppory .7z

aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Postby aone » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:25 pm

It is indeed a good feature, but not necessary at all. I myself used to use 7zX before creating Keka, and tested this feature but never used it in real world operations.

You can always send the 7zip file along with a Keka copy :)

Anyway I don't dismiss this idea at all. Fill a ticket in the tracker so it does not get forgotten.
aone ~

Return to “Chat”