Keka 1.0.5rc1 ready

Talk about Keka
Forum rules
Talk about Keka here. For bugs go to Issues.
aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Keka 1.0.5rc1 ready

Postby aone » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:37 pm

This is a critical update with p7zip and Sparkle security fixes. It also has some upgraded functionality and corrections. Will be testing it with your feedback for a couple of days, since it has been very tested already. Then, stable release will come :)

Please leave any comment referent to this update here or mention :keka: in twitter @kekaosx
aone ~

duanem
I know Keka
I know Keka

Re: Keka 1.0.5rc1 ready

Postby duanem » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 pm

If it's okay to mention bugs here before I get a login for the tracker…

I use SimpleComic to thumbnail some archives if they have images in them. After downloading Keka 1.0.5rc1, I noticed that SC showed blank page previews for all the contents of a maximum compressed 7z, including text files. I reverted to 1.0.4 and the problem went away.

https://github.com/arauchfuss/Simple-Comic uses a modified version of XADmaster to unpack archives, but hasn't been updated in a while, so if 1.0.5rc1 is leveraging some newer 7z compression feature or data structure, that might have something to do with it.

Again, apologies for posting bugs here.

aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Postby aone » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:10 am

The tracker is down due to SPAM issues... so here is the right place for now :?

Can you share a sample file that has the issue? I can't download de Simple-Compic right now, some issues on their website. Thanks for the feedback! :keka:
aone ~

duanem
I know Keka
I know Keka

Postby duanem » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:38 pm

testcomic K106.7z
Same folder, compressed with Keka 1.0.6
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 121 times
testcomic K104.7z
(4.08 MiB) Downloaded 126 times

Here are the two archives, made from the same folder (besides renaming it). SimpleComic hasn't been updated in 7 years which includes the version of XADarchive it uses to parse archive formats.

ZIP compression doesn't cause a problem in either version of Keka. My guess is that Keka's doing nothing wrong, but it's implementing some feature (new or otherwise) in 7z that the older XADarchive doesn't properly parse. If your changelog can tell you what changed in the 7z spec/compression between 1.0.4 and 1.0.5rc1, let me know.

Meanwhile, I've forked SimpleComic and am going to see what breaks if I replace all the XAD framework files with their newer versions and recompile it. If it actually works, then I'm going to make some pull requests.

Also, while I've got your ear:
  • I use The Unarchiver instead of Keka to extract archive files because Keka doesn't preserve dates in the topmost extracted folder (I see that 1.0.6 now consistently preserves dates for any subfolders which 1.0.4 didn't). Can that be corrected?
  • I still can't open Keka's main window while it's compressing if I've dropped a file/folder onto the Keka icon (if the main window's already open, it's fully functional though). Please fix this.
  • Is the current version still leaving hidden .Keka-{GUID} tempfolders inside the source's location (instead of in NSTemporaryDirectory())? I've found a number of uncleaned up hidden .Keka-GUID folders eating up disk space and I'd prefer those stayed somewhere the OS will purge eventually.

aone
Mr. Keka
Mr. Keka

Postby aone » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Duanem,

Since version 1.0.5 and up Keka uses p7zip 16.02 instead of 9.20.1. Here you can see the changelog of 7zip: http://www.7-zip.org/history.txt
I assume SimpleComic is not able to read the newer format correctly, let me know how replacing the XAD framework goes.

About the other problems:

• As I can tell, all dates are preserved as in the compressed file. The root folder, in cases where the contents of the file are multiple, is created by Keka, that's why it has the extraction date. If you have any file where the dates are not preserved, please attach it so I can test it.
  • Can't reproduce this issue. If the tasks window is active, clicking the Keka icon in the dock shows the Advanced window. Maybe you need to click twice to activate Keka and then open the Advanced window? While testing this, I've seen that the "Open main window" option does not show in the menu until the Advanced window is open, going to fix that (https://github.com/aonez/Keka/issues/1).
  • Since version 1.0.5 Keka reassures all temporal files are deleted (double check) in case of a crash or a bug. For performance, it is inviable to use NSTemporaryDirectory or any system, since the output directory might be on an external disk.

From now on you can add all your issues in the github section: https://github.com/aonez/Keka/issues

Thanks for all your feedback :D
aone ~

Return to “Chat”